Yoruba Leaders on Sunday in Akure held a meeting on Sunday with the presidential candidate of the APC, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu under the auspices of Afenifere.
The meeting held at the Akure home of Afenifere leader, Pa Ayo Fasoranti. The roll call of Yoruba leaders present at the meeting include Archbishop Ayo Ladigbolu, Professor Isaac Adewole, Olu Falae, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, General Alani Akinrinade, General Olu Bajowa, Mr Sola Iji and Dr Kunle Olajide.
Others are Senator Cornelius Adebayo, Bashorun Seinde Arogbofa, Senator Iyiola Omisore, Chief Bisi Akande, Dare Babarinsa, Chief Pius Akinyelure, Deputy governor of Oyo state, Bayo Lawal, deputy governor of Ondo state, Aiyedatiwa. Others were Chief Segun Adesegun, representing former Governor Segun Osoba, Senator Tony Adefuye, Senator Dayo Adeyeye, state leaders of Afenifere and many others.
See below the statement of Afenifere on the meeting:
STATEMENT OF AFENIFERE ON THE VISIT OF ASIWAJU AHMED BOLA TINUBU TO PA REUBEN FASORANTI ON SUNDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2022, IN HIS AKURE HOME
Following the indication by the Presidential Candidate of All Progressives Congress, APC, in the forthcoming 2023 Elections, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu to visit The Leader of the pan-Yoruba socio-political organisation Afenifere, Pa Reuben Famuyide FASORANTI, OFR, invited Leaders from all parts of Yorubaland to be with him as he receives the astute Politician.
The Leaders and some other eminent Yoruba intelligensials responded positively by sitting with him as he hosted Tinubu in Akure today.
The meeting was attended by Yoruba Leaders from Oyo, Ogun, Ondo, Ekiti, Osun, Lagos, Kogi and Kwara States.
The meeting was fully briefed about the aspiration of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu to contest for the Presidency of Nigeria in the forthcoming Elections in February 2023. He even presented his Manifesto to Baba, the Asiwaju of Yorubaland.
He shared with us his vision of a greater and more prosperous Nigeria where democratic rights, rule of law, justice and fairness will reign supreme. He also gave assurance on steps to be taken to ensure safety and security of Nigerians and their properties.
Following exhaustive deliberations informed by presentations by various stakeholders, the Afenifere states as follows:
- We affirm that Nigeria as a country must be established on the basis of democracy, true federalism and social justice.
- We affirm that Democracy is the most civilised method of governance because it is based on the fundamental human rights of every citizen to determine how he or she wants to be governed.
- We support the decision of all qualified citizens to exercise their fundamental rights of seeking offices provided by the federal Constitution.
- Having taken cognisance of his commendable antecedents as Lagos State Governor and his demonstrated ability in building physical and human capital, the Yoruba Leaders at today’s meeting are in no doubt that Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu as President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria offers the best opportunity to produce a government that will usher in a new Era of hope, peace, security, harmony, gainful employment for the multitude, economic development, social and political stability.
- We were also assured of his commitment to the promotion of true federalism that will give states more control over their affairs.
- Afenifere wishes him success in the pursuit of his vision.
- The Meeting urged other presidential candidates to utilise similar opportunities to articulate their vision.
Thank you for your attention.
Abagun Kole Omololu
National Organising Secretary of Afenifere