HomeNationalBloody! Masked gunmen attack Plateau villages, scores killed

Bloody! Masked gunmen attack Plateau villages, scores killed

Unknown gunmen on Sunday attacked Plateau and it was a killing spree as there were no security operatives available as the time of the bloody invasion.

Reports stated the attacks started at about 11:00 pm, it occurred in three local government areas of Riyom, Jos South and Barkin Ladi.

Newsheadline247 understands the bitter and sanguinary attack is still ongoing as at the time of filing this report. It has also forced the state governor, Simong Lalong to impose a dusk-to-dawn curfew on the areas inhabited by the berom ethnic group.

Peter Gyengden, a member of the Plateau State House of Assembly told newsmen that about 170 people lost their lives but the national president of the national president of Gashi Development Association in Barkin Ladi, Mr Francis Chung gave a contrary figure.

Mr Chung said he counted about 139 dead persons and added that the state’s Special Task Force (STF) stopped further of corpses to the headquarters of Barkin Ladi, to avoid an escalation. According to him, the attackers, numbering about 100, wore masks.

Reports monitored on The Guardian NG confirmed no arrests have yet been made over the killings. Mr. Joshua Gwom, a community member in Barkin Ladi, told journalists that one Musa, a pastor with the Assemblies of God Church, his wife and granddaughter, were killed.

The incident happened at Gana Ropp, near Bethany Christian Academy in Barkin Ladi. The member representing Riyom constituency at the House of Assembly, Daniel Dem also said nine people were killed in Riyom.

The Chief Press Secretary to the late former Deputy Governor Michael Botmang, Mr. George Pam, noted that attacks were still going on at the time of filing this report, and they had already spread to the Vom and Bukuru areas.

The state governor, however, commiserated with the affected people, especially those at Akwatti in Barkin Ladi and Mangu Halle.

A statement by the Commissioner for Information and Communication, Yakubu Datti, said the government was deeply pained that despite efforts made to restore peace across the state, some unpatriotic elements were overturning gains.

He said the government condemned the attacks and that security agencies had been mobilised to deal with the situation and restore normalcy.

The government holds every single life sacred and has mobilised medical and relief agencies to meet the immediate needs of the people, he said.

He appealed to citizens not to take the laws into their hands but cooperate with security agencies to prevent further breakdown of law and order. He also urged them to report suspicious movements or persons.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments