“No loss of life, no loss whatsoever to building and property was recorded.”
Garba Shehu, spokesperson to President Muhammadu Buhari has debunked reports on a fire incident in Aso Rock Villa, Abuja.
Shehu, in a series of Tweet post, said Nigerians home and abroad have expressed concerns over the fire report.
On Saturday, the news of a fire outbreak at the Aso Rock Presidential villa surfaced adding that there was confusion among workers in the President’s abode.
The report also stated that officials of the fire service tried desperately to pull out the fire.
However, the Presidency, on Sunday insisted there was no fire incident that could cause panic in the villa.
“I would like to clarify that there was no fire inside the Presidential Villa,” Shehu said in a tweet post.
His posts read, “People in the country and even abroad have been expressing concerns over reports of a fire incident in Aso Rock Villa, the seat of the Nigerian government.
“I would like to clarify that there was no fire inside the Presidential Villa.
“In the evening of Saturday, March 6, a fire broke out burning shrubs between the outer wire fence and walls surrounding the Villa, precisely in the area between the Villa and the Barracks, towards Asokoro.
“The fire, as being speculated, might have started from a passerby dropping a burning cigarette. The Federal Fire Service will ascertain the reason for it when they complete their investigation.
“It suffices to say that this bush fire, which started and ended outside the perimeter walls of the Villa, was seamlessly contained by fire stations of the State House and the one nearby from the Federal Fire Service.
“No loss of life, no loss whatsoever to building and property was recorded. We thank well-meaning Nigerians for expressed concerns,” Shehu stated.